Tuesday, July 13, 2010

60 votes...please do not forget us

It has been a few months since I have written in my blog. I just reread what I have posted in the past and was pleasantly surprised by them. I think I captured a lot of what I was feeling at the moment...and isn't that the point?

What's on my mind today? The biggest concern I have now is the fact that my unemployment is out - unless the US Senate can reach the 60 votes needed to pass the extensions. I have been all over the Internet trying to find out how to make my voice heard - and was cheered on by the fact that there are a lot of people out there giving out very useful information and links to email our senators to urge them to vote it in.      Unemployed Advocate

The stories are heartbreaking. Too many people are now living in their cars, moving in with family members, or are becoming homeless. You can't find a job when you don't have an address, access to a shower, or money for gas or public transportation to interview for a job. 
It's even harder for the terminally unemployed...people who have been out more then nine months. There are actually companies that are now including in their job postings not to apply if you are unemployed! Looking for a job? Unemployed don't need to apply (cnn.com)

I am married, my husband is still working, we have health care, so I count myself as one of the lucky ones. He is under tremendous pressure as the sole breadwinner, with one adult daughter at home (can't afford to move out - even working two jobs - and she has a college degree) and one son still in college. He goes to work every day, dreading the workday that never really ends - thanks to his blackberry.

Jobless need Congress' help (timesunion.com) Let's stop the finger pointing and give all the Americans who want to go back to work a chance - but please continue to help us out along the way. Together we can try to dig ourselves out of this crisis - or face the real possibility of two-three million people scrambling to find food and shelter.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment