Monday, October 5, 2009

What's up with that?

I have been unemployed for eight months now. Even as I type that scary number, I am shocked it has been so long. Like most people, it takes a while to get over the shock of being laid off - the immediate rejection of your work, the loss of friends and co-workers, and, most importantly, a paycheck.I was fortunate enough to receive a severance package and I am still collecting unemployment. I have been on a few interviews but no offers. I work daily on trying to find something but it truly is tough out there- the latest figure for unemployment is 9.8% and six people apply for every one spot.

Last week I received a call from a recruiter - my previous manager had given her my name. We chatted for a while - she seemed interested - and I emailed her my resume. She followed up with another phone call and said another Human Resources person would contact me. This morning I received that call. Right from the start of the conversation, she seemed almost defensive and made me feel I should be honored that she was talking to me. We then discussed different roles I had held at my previous job and she decided that I was not qualified for the position she was looking to fill. Fair enough. Then she said - "when were you laid off?" When I said "February" - she replied "What's up with that?" Excuse me, it is not my choice to be unemployed this long. I think anyone who has been is already suffering from a bruised ego and a growing lack of self confidence in their skill set. To hear an impervious tone in her voice set my day off to an unhappy start.

I hung up the phone, laced up my sneakers and went for my walk. I re-ran the conversation through my mind a couple of times - the Irish-Catholic part of me berated myself - maybe she was right - what am I doing wrong? Am I not trying hard enough? Am I getting lazy? Then, I tried to reassure myself with the daunting unemployment figures - but the truth is that even with an unemployment rate of 9.8%, 90% of people are employed - under-employed in a lot of cases - so why haven't I been able to find something?

What's up with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment