Monday, August 24, 2009

Is College for all kids?

It has been a week now since my son has returned to school for his sophomore year of college. He is the youngest of my three children and the one I smothered the most. (hey, I admit it) He was born with some serious health issues, endured four neurosurgeries before the age of six months, and recently had a health scare last April. Helicopter parent? Maybe. But with good reasons. I know we have given him all the advice we can- be safe-not stupid - know your limitations and, of course, remember why you are in college after all - please study! He came home freshmen year with a 2.7 G.P.A. - not the worst but certainly he could have achieved much higher. I watched my oldest daughter treat college more like high school and she also had the GPA to prove it. Now she is at home at 25, recently unemployed but stuck now with $50,000 in student loans. Was it worth it for her to go to college? At this point, no. Will I let my son skate through college so that he can also be saddled with loans? No way. I told him already that if he came home next summer with a similar GPA, I wouldn't allow him back. My daughter would have been better attending a trade or business school and graduate with an AAS and get a head start in the business world. My son claims he wants to be a police officer - I can't see it - but - all he needs is 60 credits to get into the Police Academy - and he will have that after sophomore year. We can reevaluate the situation next spring. My middle daughter did everything you would want a college student to do - embraced every opportunity that came her way, became involved with campus activities, completed an internship and landed a great job in Wash DC. As a middle class parent we just expect our kids to go to college. When I graduated from High School, my Irish immigrant father did not want me to go to college at all - I convinced my mother - who supported me - and I went to our local community college/then on for my BA. At the age of 44 I completed my Masters Degree in Communications. I had the drive and the commitment. Perhaps more thought should be put into who really should go to college - especially with tuition costs climbing higher and higher and the accompanying loans that go hand in hand. My kids will be paying off their loans until they are well in adulthood - is that the way to start a new life?

No comments:

Post a Comment