Monday, August 3, 2009

Street Art

A few years ago when I was commuting by car to NYC on a daily basis for work, I passed this very intriguing and extroverted man who would take the daily cast-offs of his neighbors and create street art from it. One day he would rail about the Pope, posting a hand written sign with the huge letters PRO-CHOICE and place it next to an old rusty baby stroller with a battered doll inside (think Chucky) . The next day would be about the insane policies of the Mayor of New York – whoever he was at the time. He bared his soul every day for all the tired, bored, frustrated commuters to see. I often wondered how many people, idling in their cars, bothered to even look at his "art"? I was on the FDR Drive last week with my son and his art was still happily on display. Even though the whole area is under major construction – with ramps and crossovers all over the place - he still managed to carve out his own personal space and continue to make his own personal statements. He gives the term "recycling" a new meaning.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mariah. It's my first-time visiting your site, but I really like your little vignettes. Very poignant and you wrap them up nicely to bring it all together. Good work.

    ReplyDelete