Thursday, September 10, 2009

A crowd of two

I have been unemployed since February from a job I truly loved. Due to an unexpected severance package and unemployment benefits I have been okay financially - but all the "extras" are gone. I miss shopping and getting my nails done - trivial yes but I enjoyed it. I have gained a whole lot of free time for the first time since I had my three children. I have worked since I was 16 and being at home without having any little ones to take care of left me a little lost. I am a born list maker, so each morning before I get up, I plan out my day. It can be as simple as what path will I take during my walk today - to should I clean the house today or tomorrow? I also spend at least two hours a day researching and applying for jobs. After six months of unemployment, I have found that two hours a day is the most I can do. I volunteer at my local library, have discovered a wonderful local farmer's market and learned to shop for three adults instead of five. I had a decent, sane routine going until August. Then my 25 year old daughter also was laid off. Two women home all day, unemployed, does not make for a sane routine anymore. The house has gotten very crowded. I grow annoyed when I come back in the morning and she is still asleep. Adding to the stress is that she is in an unstable relationship which really hit the fan yesterday. Tears. Screaming. Slamming doors. This drama I do not need at this stage of my life. Although I feel content at times - no deadlines, no office politics, I know I am stressed. I have put on 15 unwelcome pounds (even with all my walking) and my clothes don't fit. I want to help my daughter and see her through this, but she has never been one to heed my advice so I have given up trying. All I feel I can do at this point, is to be available to her, make sure she is safe, and cautiously try to steer her in a more positive direction. I know I can't change her - she has to initate the change she wants to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment