Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Beagán agus a rá go maith. Be (e as in echo) gawn og us uh rah go (as in going) mah. Say little but say it well.

What the heck? My title for today's blog is in Gaelic - with the pronunciation and English translation provided. Tomorrow is, after all, St. Patrick's Day, and I am getting in the spirit.

I love the above quote but I am afraid I don't practice it too well. When I tell a story, I feel compelled to give you lots of background information. I think this adds to the story - in minutes as well as in flavor. It's ironic because I used to fault my beloved mom for getting so off track when she would tell a story - I am now doing the same thing.

Mothers and daughters. Mothers and sons. As my children have grown and become adults, it has been interesting to see the different paths they have taken - although looking back on them as children, where they are today and how they were as children can sometimes be a straight line.

My children were raised as Catholics and attended Catholic school up to High School. As the Sunday grumblings grew about attending Mass, I told them that I wanted them to receive the sacrament of Confirmation and then they could choose what spiritual path they would like to be on.  Confirmation literally confirms them as full members of the church - but if they chose not to be a member anymore, I would not pressure them. I have been true to my word - for the most part. I do ask them to come on the holidays but if they choose not to, I let it go.

This past weekend, my son was home from college on spring break and there was a Memorial Mass at our parish for a wonderful nun who had taught at my kids school. I asked him to come - out of respect for her and to be part of the church family once again, if only temporarily.  He agreed to come and to my surprise, he seemed to actually be getting something out of all the rituals and prayers that were being offered.

I held my tongue and did not make a big deal out of his attendance. As he showed me with his attendance, Say little but say it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment